Social Security has a rule that the bride must file an SS-5 form (a new application form showing change of name and /or marital status) within the fiscal year for tax purposes, (The SS-5 form should be filed, even if you are keeping your own name) along with an original proof of marriage. Social Security may take a while if you rely on the mail, so we always suggest you have another proof on hand. Therefore you may want to request two proofs of marriage. Check with Social Security first, see if you walk it in, will they just look at it and return it to you. Don’t take a day off from work to go to the Motor Vehicle Bureau and any of the other place until you have an original marriage certificate in hand.

Change your name and address if applicable on the following:

  1. Drivers License
  2. Car Registration
  3. Car Insurance
  4. Health Insurance
  5. Social Security Records
  6. Voter Registration
  7. Bank Accounts
  8. Credit Cards
  9. Will
  10. With Your Employer
  11. Professional Licenses
  12. Passport

Click Here For a Free, Personalized Wedding Ceremony Package and Guide,